Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 1:21 pm
Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Hold rookie enthusiasm until pads come on
Keim acknowledged Friday on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM that he's both excited with the players he drafted, but is also holding back until he seems them practice in pads.
"When you sit in my chair, you have to temper your enthusiasm a bit and wait until the pads come on because we all know that a lot of guys can look great running around in shorts and helmets, but when the lights come on and the big boy pads come on, things can quickly change," Keim said.
One player that caught Keim's eye was the team's first-round pick, safety Deone Bucannon, who impressed him with his work ethic.
"Deone Bucannon is everything we thought he was as a worker, as a student of the game," Keim said. "There were times where he was begging our coaches to meet him on Sunday night to study film."
The Cardinals' next pick, tight end Troy Niklas, broke his right hand at Cardinals minicamp, but is expected back for training camp. Niklas needs the reps more than most because he only played two seasons at the position at Notre Dame.
"Before the injury, he's a guy that quickly picked up our offense," Keim said. "He's extremely intelligent, has all the physical tools, and we feel very strongly about him."
Of all the rookies, wide receiver John Brown flashed the most potential during OTAs and the team's minicamp. Keim said the third-round pick "has almost looked too good to be true."
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.