ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer a 'third tier' QB
The first, which ran from Week 1 to Week 7, saw the veteran complete 60.5 percent of his passes for 1,741 yards with eight touchdowns and 13 interceptions.
The second, which constituted his performances from Week 8 to the end of the season, saw a QB who completed 65.7 percent of his passes for 2,533 yards with 16 touchdowns and nine interceptions.
It all added up to a quarterback who, in his first year with a new team, threw for the eighth-most yards of any passer and the 12th-most touchdowns. His 22 interceptions were tied for second most, and his 83.9 QB rating placed him 20th.
According to an ESPN Insider article written by Mike Sando, a survey of 26 NFL insiders puts Palmer in the third tier of signal callers, tied for 21st overall.
Palmer is an interesting study because his production went from being pretty brutal through eight games last season (10 TDs, 14 INTs, 35.1 QBR score) to ranking among the NFL's best from that point forward (14 TDs, 8 INTs, 68.9 QBR).
Not many people seemed to notice. Twenty-three of 26 voters placed Palmer in the third or fourth tier. The eight players who gave Griffin a 4.1 grade on average combined to rate Palmer at 3.1, something I found interesting and somewhat surprising. "I really like Palmer," a veteran safety said. "He is a tough guy. I respect his game and his work ethic. I like the way he plays."
Palmer is tied with the Rams' Sam Bradford, while Seattle's Russell Wilson is tied for eighth and San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick comes in at 14th.
The hope is that Palmer, now in his second season with the team, will start off 2014 the way he finished 2013. If he does that, his overall numbers should make a significant jump, and the Cardinals' offense should improve with him.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.