Prisco: Patrick Peterson is NFL's eighth-best player, best cornerback
Not that we want it to.
Patrick Peterson. Richard Sherman. Maybe Darrelle Revis or Joe Haden.
Who is the best cornerback in the NFL?
CBS Sports NFL guy Pete Prisco made his selection. In a piece ranking the top 100 players in the NFL, he has the Cardinals' star placed eighth overall, and first among defensive backs.
He is a physical corner who plays a lot of man coverage. And he does it well.
Offensive coordinator on Peterson: "Peterson lines up on the top receiver all over the place. That gives him an edge over (Richard) Sherman. They're both really good."
Sherman isn't far behind Peterson, coming in at No. 11.
He doesn't always play man-to-man, but he excels in what they ask him to do. He is a playmaker. Just ask him. But that's why I love his style.
Of course, there's no shame in either player's ranking, and the idea of who is better is really a matter of perspective. Each is asked to do different things by their respective things, and each succeeds at a level few players can match.
Also on the list for the Cardinals are defensive end Calais Campbell, who comes in at 43rd, and receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who is 45th.
He is a player that many people overlook because he doesn't put up huge sack numbers. But he is so important to the success of the Arizona defense.
He didn't have a monster season in 2013 by his standards, but he still commands a ton of attention from a defense.
NFL GM No. 3 on Fitzgerald: "I think he's slowing down a little bit. He's still a big-time threat, but does he scare deep like he used to?"
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.