Prisco: Patrick Peterson is NFL's eighth-best player, best cornerback
Not that we want it to.
Patrick Peterson. Richard Sherman. Maybe Darrelle Revis or Joe Haden.
Who is the best cornerback in the NFL?
CBS Sports NFL guy Pete Prisco made his selection. In a piece ranking the top 100 players in the NFL, he has the Cardinals' star placed eighth overall, and first among defensive backs.
He is a physical corner who plays a lot of man coverage. And he does it well.
Offensive coordinator on Peterson: "Peterson lines up on the top receiver all over the place. That gives him an edge over (Richard) Sherman. They're both really good."
Sherman isn't far behind Peterson, coming in at No. 11.
He doesn't always play man-to-man, but he excels in what they ask him to do. He is a playmaker. Just ask him. But that's why I love his style.
Of course, there's no shame in either player's ranking, and the idea of who is better is really a matter of perspective. Each is asked to do different things by their respective things, and each succeeds at a level few players can match.
Also on the list for the Cardinals are defensive end Calais Campbell, who comes in at 43rd, and receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who is 45th.
He is a player that many people overlook because he doesn't put up huge sack numbers. But he is so important to the success of the Arizona defense.
He didn't have a monster season in 2013 by his standards, but he still commands a ton of attention from a defense.
NFL GM No. 3 on Fitzgerald: "I think he's slowing down a little bit. He's still a big-time threat, but does he scare deep like he used to?"
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b