Prisco: Patrick Peterson is NFL's eighth-best player, best cornerback
Not that we want it to.
Patrick Peterson. Richard Sherman. Maybe Darrelle Revis or Joe Haden.
Who is the best cornerback in the NFL?
CBS Sports NFL guy Pete Prisco made his selection. In a piece ranking the top 100 players in the NFL, he has the Cardinals' star placed eighth overall, and first among defensive backs.
He is a physical corner who plays a lot of man coverage. And he does it well.
Offensive coordinator on Peterson: "Peterson lines up on the top receiver all over the place. That gives him an edge over (Richard) Sherman. They're both really good."
Sherman isn't far behind Peterson, coming in at No. 11.
He doesn't always play man-to-man, but he excels in what they ask him to do. He is a playmaker. Just ask him. But that's why I love his style.
Of course, there's no shame in either player's ranking, and the idea of who is better is really a matter of perspective. Each is asked to do different things by their respective things, and each succeeds at a level few players can match.
Also on the list for the Cardinals are defensive end Calais Campbell, who comes in at 43rd, and receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who is 45th.
He is a player that many people overlook because he doesn't put up huge sack numbers. But he is so important to the success of the Arizona defense.
He didn't have a monster season in 2013 by his standards, but he still commands a ton of attention from a defense.
NFL GM No. 3 on Fitzgerald: "I think he's slowing down a little bit. He's still a big-time threat, but does he scare deep like he used to?"
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.