Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu says recovery is going well
The defensive back is recovering from a torn ACL and LCL suffered in a Week 14 win over the St. Louis Rams, and has been making steady progress as training camp nears.
Mathieu, speaking to the NFL Network, said he's feeling great right now.
"The recovery is going well," he said. "I have a great team around me. My teammates have been great supporters so I'm in positive spirits right now. I'm just looking forward to that day they let me get back on the field."
When that will be is a mystery.
The Cardinals understandably would like to get Mathieu back on the field as soon as possible. His impact was felt in a truncated season last year, as he finished with 68 total tackles, two interceptions, one sack and one forced fumble.
But even then, the team is making sure not to rush the 22-year-old back onto the field, believing a cautious approach will better serve both the team and the player. After all, there is a promising career to think about.
Asked what the team is looking to do with him in training camp, which begins July 25, Mathieu said he wasn't sure what the plan is.
"I'll probably be doing the same thing I did in the spring as far as making sure I'm communicating with the defensive backs, making sure all those guys are on point," he said. "Hopefully I'll be able to get out there and be able to put on at least a helmet and some shoulder pads and run around and be a football player again."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?