Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu says recovery is going well
The defensive back is recovering from a torn ACL and LCL suffered in a Week 14 win over the St. Louis Rams, and has been making steady progress as training camp nears.
Mathieu, speaking to the NFL Network, said he's feeling great right now.
"The recovery is going well," he said. "I have a great team around me. My teammates have been great supporters so I'm in positive spirits right now. I'm just looking forward to that day they let me get back on the field."
When that will be is a mystery.
The Cardinals understandably would like to get Mathieu back on the field as soon as possible. His impact was felt in a truncated season last year, as he finished with 68 total tackles, two interceptions, one sack and one forced fumble.
But even then, the team is making sure not to rush the 22-year-old back onto the field, believing a cautious approach will better serve both the team and the player. After all, there is a promising career to think about.
Asked what the team is looking to do with him in training camp, which begins July 25, Mathieu said he wasn't sure what the plan is.
"I'll probably be doing the same thing I did in the spring as far as making sure I'm communicating with the defensive backs, making sure all those guys are on point," he said. "Hopefully I'll be able to get out there and be able to put on at least a helmet and some shoulder pads and run around and be a football player again."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.