Patrick Peterson ranked below Richard Sherman, but Antonio Cromartie also on list of best CBs
Who is the best cover corner in the NFL, Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman?
Plenty of people (including the players themselves) have shared their thoughts on the matter, but truth is there really is no way to tell who is actually better.
They're both really, really good.
But that hasn't stopped people from ranking them because, well, it's the offseason and there is little else to do.
Enter NFL.com's Bucky Brooks, who has been producing all sorts of lists over the last few days. The latest one is on cornerbacks, and he ranks the Cardinals' star second behind the Seahawk.
Regarded as one of the most explosive athletes in the NFL, Peterson has quickly developed into a premier player at his position. He exhibits the kind of athleticism, savvy and ball skills that defensive coordinators dream of, while also possessing the football IQ and awareness to play all over the field. Thrust into a scheme that asks him to handle a lot of responsibility as the designated defensive eraser, Peterson has not only thrived, but he is redefining the position with his unbelievable combination of physical and mental gifts.
It's not like Brooks is slandering Peterson or wronging him by placing him second on the list. The three-time Pro Bowler is ahead of some really talented players, including Darrelle Revis, Joe Haden and Aqib Talib.
He's also ahead of new teammate Antonio Cromartie, who comes in at number eight on the list.
Cromartie created a bit of a stir when he claimed to clock a 4.3-second 40-yard dash at a recent workout, but few evaluators have ever questioned the 30-year-old's freakish athletic traits. Checking in at 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds with long arms, Cromartie mauls receivers at the line with strong jams in press coverage. Although his lack of discipline (with respect to footwork and fundamentals) allows inferior receivers to occasionally make plays, Cromartie is capable of locking down the top receivers in the league. If Cromartie decides to bring his "A" game to Arizona, the Cardinals could have the top cornerback tandem in the NFL. (More on the other guy in the desert in a bit ...)
Whether you think Peterson should be number one or not, any Cardinals fan should be pleased to see the top two corners ranked among the top 10 in the NFL.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.