Updated Jan 9, 2012 - 3:26 pm
Ex-Laker Shannon Brown returns to L.A.
Brown makes his first trip back to L.A. Tuesday when the Suns play the Lakers, Brown's former team. He signed with the Suns as a free agent when the lockout was lifted.
"It's the first place I went to where I really got a chance to play," he said of his two-plus season with the Lakers. "I really got a chance to showcase my abilities and I'm very thankful and grateful for that."
Brown played in all 82 games in each of his two full seasons in L.A., including the club's 2009-2010 NBA championship season when he averaged a career-high 21 minutes per game.
"I got a chance to play for one of the greatest coaches (Phil Jackson) to ever do it and then play with one of the greatest players (Kobe Bryant) to ever do it."
But more than what Brown was able to do on the court---he averaged a career-high 8.7 points last season, is what he was able to do off the court: mature.
"I learned a lot about myself," he said before the team left for L.A. "I grew up a lot. It was just a great experience for me."
So far this season Brown is struggling with his shot, just 33% from the field, which is a career-low. He has, however, posted back-to-back 14-point performances in the last two games, both Suns wins.
Phoenix is his fifth team in his sixth NBA season.
"My teammates and coaches, GM, owners, everybody has done a great job of welcoming me and making me feel comfortable."
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.