Updated Feb 9, 2012 - 11:39 pm
Barkley rips Nash All-Star selection
Nash is shooting 56% from the field and is leading the league in assists despite playing on a team that is ranked 15th in the NBA in field goal percentage (.445).
Western Conference coaches recognized Nash's play, and despite the Suns' sub-.500 record, picked the 16-year veteran as a reserve for this year's NBA All-Star Game in Orlando February 26.
One outspoken analyst took exception with Nash's inclusion.
"Clearly we gave Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki lifetime achievement awards," said Charles Barkley, the former Sun and current NBA on TNT analyst. "Kyle Lowry should have been an All-Star. I'm rewarding Kyle Lowry. No disrespect to Steve Nash."
Lowry of the Houston Rockets is averaging 14.8 points and 7.9 assists per game -- numbers inferior to Nash's totals. The Rockets, however, do have a winning record heading into Thursday's action.
The Villanova product is having a nice season and is developing into a solid NBA point guard. But fans league-wide, not to mention other Western Conference All-Stars, would rather see Nash on the floor for a game that features offensive brilliance.
Barkley has drawn legions of fans throughout his broadcasting career for his no-holds-barred approach and blunt comments, but on this one, he's wrong. Nash is very deserving of this honor, and it's clearly not based on lifetime achievement.
All Sir Charles has to do is look at the numbers. Or better yet, turn on a Suns game.
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.