Updated Feb 9, 2012 - 11:39 pm
Barkley rips Nash All-Star selection
Nash is shooting 56% from the field and is leading the league in assists despite playing on a team that is ranked 15th in the NBA in field goal percentage (.445).
Western Conference coaches recognized Nash's play, and despite the Suns' sub-.500 record, picked the 16-year veteran as a reserve for this year's NBA All-Star Game in Orlando February 26.
One outspoken analyst took exception with Nash's inclusion.
"Clearly we gave Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki lifetime achievement awards," said Charles Barkley, the former Sun and current NBA on TNT analyst. "Kyle Lowry should have been an All-Star. I'm rewarding Kyle Lowry. No disrespect to Steve Nash."
Lowry of the Houston Rockets is averaging 14.8 points and 7.9 assists per game -- numbers inferior to Nash's totals. The Rockets, however, do have a winning record heading into Thursday's action.
The Villanova product is having a nice season and is developing into a solid NBA point guard. But fans league-wide, not to mention other Western Conference All-Stars, would rather see Nash on the floor for a game that features offensive brilliance.
Barkley has drawn legions of fans throughout his broadcasting career for his no-holds-barred approach and blunt comments, but on this one, he's wrong. Nash is very deserving of this honor, and it's clearly not based on lifetime achievement.
All Sir Charles has to do is look at the numbers. Or better yet, turn on a Suns game.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.