Updated Feb 9, 2012 - 11:39 pm
Barkley rips Nash All-Star selection
Nash is shooting 56% from the field and is leading the league in assists despite playing on a team that is ranked 15th in the NBA in field goal percentage (.445).
Western Conference coaches recognized Nash's play, and despite the Suns' sub-.500 record, picked the 16-year veteran as a reserve for this year's NBA All-Star Game in Orlando February 26.
One outspoken analyst took exception with Nash's inclusion.
"Clearly we gave Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki lifetime achievement awards," said Charles Barkley, the former Sun and current NBA on TNT analyst. "Kyle Lowry should have been an All-Star. I'm rewarding Kyle Lowry. No disrespect to Steve Nash."
Lowry of the Houston Rockets is averaging 14.8 points and 7.9 assists per game -- numbers inferior to Nash's totals. The Rockets, however, do have a winning record heading into Thursday's action.
The Villanova product is having a nice season and is developing into a solid NBA point guard. But fans league-wide, not to mention other Western Conference All-Stars, would rather see Nash on the floor for a game that features offensive brilliance.
Barkley has drawn legions of fans throughout his broadcasting career for his no-holds-barred approach and blunt comments, but on this one, he's wrong. Nash is very deserving of this honor, and it's clearly not based on lifetime achievement.
All Sir Charles has to do is look at the numbers. Or better yet, turn on a Suns game.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.