Updated Mar 1, 2012 - 2:05 pm
Rumor: Orlando Magic set to pursue Steve Nash trade
Steve Nash has said he has no interest in being traded, but understands the Suns may want to move in a different direction.
With the Suns at 14-20 and the 38-year-old Nash approaching free agency, there are plenty out there who feel like the two parties should go their separate ways before the March 15 NBA trade deadline.
Enter the Orlando Magic?
Magic Rumor: I was told by multiple sources that Otis Smith will "aggressively" pursue Steve Nash before the trade deadline.— Jarrod N Rudolph (@MisterRudolph) February 26, 2012
For those of you who don't know, Orlando is looking to appease star Dwight Howard, who is set to become a free agent and could leave town. The hope is acquiring Nash would make the team a contender this season while also keeping the team's star player happy. Do that, and there's less of a chance he'll bail on the happiest place on earth this summer.
If only it were that simple.
One of the biggest obstacles for any team looking to make a play for Nash -- besides the Suns actually wanting to deal him, of course -- is the task of trying to match contracts while giving the Suns something of value.
Any deal would likely involve Magic guard Jameer Nelson, who has struggled this season, and possibly forward Ryan Anderson, who is a Channing Frye-like forward in the midst of a breakout campaign.
The Magic would also likely include multiple draft picks, though it still may not be enough to coax Phoenix into parting with its franchise player.
But they have to try, right?
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.