Updated Mar 1, 2012 - 2:05 pm
Rumor: Orlando Magic set to pursue Steve Nash trade
Steve Nash has said he has no interest in being traded, but understands the Suns may want to move in a different direction.
With the Suns at 14-20 and the 38-year-old Nash approaching free agency, there are plenty out there who feel like the two parties should go their separate ways before the March 15 NBA trade deadline.
Enter the Orlando Magic?
Magic Rumor: I was told by multiple sources that Otis Smith will "aggressively" pursue Steve Nash before the trade deadline.— Jarrod N Rudolph (@MisterRudolph) February 26, 2012
For those of you who don't know, Orlando is looking to appease star Dwight Howard, who is set to become a free agent and could leave town. The hope is acquiring Nash would make the team a contender this season while also keeping the team's star player happy. Do that, and there's less of a chance he'll bail on the happiest place on earth this summer.
If only it were that simple.
One of the biggest obstacles for any team looking to make a play for Nash -- besides the Suns actually wanting to deal him, of course -- is the task of trying to match contracts while giving the Suns something of value.
Any deal would likely involve Magic guard Jameer Nelson, who has struggled this season, and possibly forward Ryan Anderson, who is a Channing Frye-like forward in the midst of a breakout campaign.
The Magic would also likely include multiple draft picks, though it still may not be enough to coax Phoenix into parting with its franchise player.
But they have to try, right?
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.