Updated Mar 1, 2012 - 2:05 pm
Rumor: Orlando Magic set to pursue Steve Nash trade
Steve Nash has said he has no interest in being traded, but understands the Suns may want to move in a different direction.
With the Suns at 14-20 and the 38-year-old Nash approaching free agency, there are plenty out there who feel like the two parties should go their separate ways before the March 15 NBA trade deadline.
Enter the Orlando Magic?
Magic Rumor: I was told by multiple sources that Otis Smith will "aggressively" pursue Steve Nash before the trade deadline.— Jarrod N Rudolph (@MisterRudolph) February 26, 2012
For those of you who don't know, Orlando is looking to appease star Dwight Howard, who is set to become a free agent and could leave town. The hope is acquiring Nash would make the team a contender this season while also keeping the team's star player happy. Do that, and there's less of a chance he'll bail on the happiest place on earth this summer.
If only it were that simple.
One of the biggest obstacles for any team looking to make a play for Nash -- besides the Suns actually wanting to deal him, of course -- is the task of trying to match contracts while giving the Suns something of value.
Any deal would likely involve Magic guard Jameer Nelson, who has struggled this season, and possibly forward Ryan Anderson, who is a Channing Frye-like forward in the midst of a breakout campaign.
The Magic would also likely include multiple draft picks, though it still may not be enough to coax Phoenix into parting with its franchise player.
But they have to try, right?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 4Ryan McDonough discusses the Suns' recent losses.
- The DISH - December 3, 2013 - Tuesday December 3Jon Bloom brings us this day in Suns' history.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 3Coach says the Suns know who they are, so who are they?
- The DISH - November 29, 2013 - Friday November 29Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - November 27, 2013 - Wednesday November 27Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.