Updated Mar 1, 2012 - 2:05 pm
Rumor: Orlando Magic set to pursue Steve Nash trade
Steve Nash has said he has no interest in being traded, but understands the Suns may want to move in a different direction.
With the Suns at 14-20 and the 38-year-old Nash approaching free agency, there are plenty out there who feel like the two parties should go their separate ways before the March 15 NBA trade deadline.
Enter the Orlando Magic?
Magic Rumor: I was told by multiple sources that Otis Smith will "aggressively" pursue Steve Nash before the trade deadline.— Jarrod N Rudolph (@MisterRudolph) February 26, 2012
For those of you who don't know, Orlando is looking to appease star Dwight Howard, who is set to become a free agent and could leave town. The hope is acquiring Nash would make the team a contender this season while also keeping the team's star player happy. Do that, and there's less of a chance he'll bail on the happiest place on earth this summer.
If only it were that simple.
One of the biggest obstacles for any team looking to make a play for Nash -- besides the Suns actually wanting to deal him, of course -- is the task of trying to match contracts while giving the Suns something of value.
Any deal would likely involve Magic guard Jameer Nelson, who has struggled this season, and possibly forward Ryan Anderson, who is a Channing Frye-like forward in the midst of a breakout campaign.
The Magic would also likely include multiple draft picks, though it still may not be enough to coax Phoenix into parting with its franchise player.
But they have to try, right?
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.