Updated Mar 1, 2012 - 10:13 am
New Steve Nash trade rumor: Dallas for Lamar Odom
OK, here you go, courtesy of Dwain Price, who happens to be a Mavericks beat writer for the Star-Telegram in Dallas.
The word on the streets is that the Mavs may trade Lamar Odom to Phoenix for Steve Nash. That will get Odom closer to his home in LA.— Dwain Price (@DwainPrice) March 1, 2012
Of all the teams Nash may want to play for that are not the Suns, the Dallas Mavericks would likely be near the top of the list. They're a contender, he's familiar with the franchise after playing for the Mavs from 1998-2004, and his buddy Dirk Nowitzki still happens to play there.
But for Lamar Odom-Kardashian?
The reigning NBA Sixth Man of the Year has struggled in his first season in Big D, averaging just 7.7 points and 4.5 rebounds per game for the Mavericks. However, he's one of the more versatile forwards in the league (think a not- fat Boris Diaw), and is a player who used to always give the Suns problems when he was with the Lakers.
And, maybe most importantly, his contract has a team option for the 2012-13 season. Hello, cap space!
Of course, any idea of a Nash trade goes back to the team's seeming reluctance to part with its star. While it's possible the veteran has given management the OK to explore a deal, that idea goes against everything anyone has heard up to this point.
But, with the Suns struggling to stay on the playoff bubble and the Mavericks desperate to defend their NBA title, it's possible this could turn into a perfect match.
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Suns analyst: Team would benefit from veteran experience, clutch performer
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?