Suns will have ample cap space this summer
According to Tom Haberstroh of ESPN Insider, the Suns' $26 million in cap space will be equaled only by that of the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The Suns are $5 million over the cap right now and have Steve Nash, Grant Hill and Shannon Brown coming off. They could afford to re-sign Nash for one more run, plus get him some high-powered help.
Indeed, the Suns have set themselves up nicely to pursue multiple free agents this summer, though Nash's status will play a big role in everything they do.
Keeping Nash would surely put a dent in the amount of available cap space, though how much the point guard would command is unclear.
Furthermore, few expect the Suns to be in on some of the NBA's top free agents.
But that's not the point, really. The point is they've put themselves in position to make a run at these players, which is something they haven't done since the summer of 2004, when they pried Nash away from the Dallas Mavericks.
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday June 18Jared Dudley joins Doug and Wolf to talk NBA Finals.
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.
- Eddie Johnson, Suns' TV Analyst - Thursday June 6EJ previews game 1 of the NBA Finals. Plus, what are his thoughts on George Karl's firing?