Suns will have ample cap space this summer
According to Tom Haberstroh of ESPN Insider, the Suns' $26 million in cap space will be equaled only by that of the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The Suns are $5 million over the cap right now and have Steve Nash, Grant Hill and Shannon Brown coming off. They could afford to re-sign Nash for one more run, plus get him some high-powered help.
Indeed, the Suns have set themselves up nicely to pursue multiple free agents this summer, though Nash's status will play a big role in everything they do.
Keeping Nash would surely put a dent in the amount of available cap space, though how much the point guard would command is unclear.
Furthermore, few expect the Suns to be in on some of the NBA's top free agents.
But that's not the point, really. The point is they've put themselves in position to make a run at these players, which is something they haven't done since the summer of 2004, when they pried Nash away from the Dallas Mavericks.
- Report: Suns receive permission to interview J.B. Bickerstaff and Steve Clifford
- Suns' coaching search ‘narrows and expands at the same time'
- Arizona Sports NBA Mock Draft Tracker
- Suns' McDonough to have options with two first round picks
- Jared Dudley: Next Suns coach needs to develop talent, teach fundamentals
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns