Nash has thought about being traded, but had no intentions of asking out
A free agent at the end of this season, Nash may ultimately choose to leave Phoenix, his NBA home for the last eight years. But that's for the future, if it happens at all.
A guest on The B.S. Report on ESPN.com, Nash told host Bill Simmons that while he's thought about what it would be like to not be a Sun anymore, he never planned on asking to be dealt.
"For the last year I've thought about it a little bit," Nash said of whether it would be best for both the team and player to move on from each other. "Regardless of whether it's better for them or for me, and all the different combinations…of course I'd love to be on a team right now that has a chance to be in the Finals, but at the same time it's not like that; you can't just go to the front office and say ‘put me on a team that's playing in the Finals.'
"You open up a whole can of worms and say ‘yeah, ok, I want to get traded to a contender,' and now it's gone beyond - now everyone knows you've asked, and where do you go?"
When put that way, it's little wonder why Nash decided to stay put, at least for the remainder of this season.
"I didn't feel like I wanted to take a step like that, not only because of the unknown, but also because of what I would say or do to my teammates and the fans," Nash said. "We've had a lot of great times in Phoenix and I didn't want to overlook all that for them to put it in the mixer and see what comes out on the other side, which could have been anything."
So instead of seeing what it could be, Nash decided to stick with what he knows, which is that he's on a 25-26 Suns team that is fighting just to make the playoffs.
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach