ESPN's Barry: Despite comments, Nash won't leave
But ESPN analyst Jon Barry told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that Nash will not leave Phoenix.
"I think at the end of the day, he wants to be at home, and Phoenix is his home, and I doubt that he leaves," Barry said.
Barry's reasoning behind Nash's comments includes former- Sun Boris Diaw, and Nash's desire to see the Suns acquire him after being waived by the Charlotte Bobcats. Diaw signed with the San Antonio Spurs last week.
"From what I gathered, what I heard, that he was a little upset it wasn't done," Barry said. "It wasn't anything that was gonna break the bank and be a major problem for Phoenix to do, just to show Steve that ‘Yeah, we are trying to improve. We are trying to take steps to get this thing going in the right direction.'"
Because the organization never budged, Barry explained that Nash made some comments out of distaste. However, if Nash makes it clear he wants to leave, it may not be an easy process because of his age and how much he's meant to the Valley.
"What do you pay him? What he's worth at this franchise, the Phoenix Suns, is immeasurable," Barry said "But if you went to another franchise; and what if he didn't have the type of impact he had? Will he be able to play again after a summer off and play as effective as he's playing right now?
"Those are all the questions. Does he need a two-year deal, does he want a three-year deal, is it a one-year deal?"
Though Nash may not be a sure thing going forward, there will still be teams waiting to give him what he wants.
"A lot of variables in this, but certainly if he's playing the way he plays this year next year, man, I'd pay him a bunch of money, and I'd give him a shot."
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach