Steve Nash is not Dwight Howard: Suns lucky to have point guard
At any rate, it's just another episode in a long line of awkward moments between Howard and his team, as the franchise, hoping to retain its star on a long-term basis, is basically kowtowing to his every whim.
And that, Suns head coach Alvin Gentry told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, is no way to run a team.
"I do know that if you start players running your franchise, I don't know where it's ever worked out," he said.
Of course, something similar could have played out in Phoenix with Steve Nash, but it didn't. Besides recently saying that he wants the team to improve if he's going to re-sign this summer (and really, who didn't already figure that), Nash's impending free agent status has been anything but a distraction to the player or franchise.
And for that, Gentry is thankful.
Indeed, whether you want the Suns to move on from Nash or not, you must be able to appreciate the fact that a circus has not followed him wherever he's gone this season.
See the Dwight Howard/Stan Van Gundy video here:
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach