Suns head coach Alvin Gentry doing a 'phenomenal' job
PHOENIX -- Steve Nash has said he would like to play three more years.
Grant Hill believes he could play two more years.
If either free-agent-to-be returns next season, they'll be playing for a head coach who is signed for only one more year.
"I mean Alvin [Gentry] is an amazing coach," answered Nash when asked point blank if Gentry deserved a contract extension.
"What he's done with this group," Nash continued, "we've not been picked to be in the playoffs the last three years and we made the Western Conference Finals; and here we are with a shot this year and even last year to an extent.
"I think Alvin is a great coach. I think his performance this year as a coach has been phenomenal and maybe as good as it's ever been."
Gentry is in his third full season as head coach. His 141 wins are fifth-most in franchise history while his playoff winning percentage (.625) is tops among the 14 men who have walked the Suns' sideline.
Many did not see a return trip to the post season -- after a year's absence -- in the team's 2012 future. However, the Suns find themselves within a game of 8th-place Denver in the Western Conference.
"We got our work cut out for us," said Nash. "We've done phenomenal. The coaches have been unbelievable this year. You've got to give the coaches a ton of credit. We've found ourselves, incredibly, in a positon to get into the playoffs."
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns