Nash says he'll play vs. Portland; Hill unsure
After playing just under six minutes, head coach Alvin Gentry pulled Nash from the game after the veteran point guard tweaked his hip. With the Spurs already leading 21- 4, the decision was easy for the Suns' head coach.
"(Nash) was not going to go back in the game. He was not feeling well, and we're not going to risk one game of putting him back in there and then him missing the rest of the season. I didn't think it merited him going back into the game," Gentry said Saturday.
Sure the Suns took their lumps, but the rest paid off as Nash will be in the lineup Monday night when the Suns play host to the Portland Trail Blazers at US Airways Center.
"(The hip) actually feels pretty good," Nash said following the team's shootaround Monday morning. "(Trainer Aaron Nelson) has done a good job and I feel better than I thought I would, so I'm playing."
Forward Grant Hill also saw limited minutes against San Antonio after returning to the court the night before in Phoenix's win in Houston. Hill was just two weeks removed from arthroscopic knee surgery.
Hill's availability will be a game-time decision.
"He needs to warm up and see how he feels or come in if he doesn't feel great and say he's not going," Gentry said.
Gentry wasn't sure what Hill's role would be if he is available Monday night. Hill had started the first 46 games he had played in this season before coming off the bench against Houston and San Antonio.
"If he says he's going, then we'll make a decision based on that," Gentry said.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Jon Barry, NBA Analyst - Friday May 24Barry expects a physical match up between the Heat & Pacers in Game 2 of the NBA Eastern Conference
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM