Babby: Playoffs a nice reward for team in transition
That means they're not one of the league's best teams and certainly not a contender to win the NBA title.
But they do have a shot at reaching the playoffs, and, as Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, it would be a nice accomplishment.
"Our plan all along has been to begin a transition or rebuilding process while at the same time trying to remain competitive," he said. "I think we've done that this year, particularly the second half of the year we've played at a very high level.
"There are a lot of people in this community that would be excited and should be excited about us making the playoffs, but there are also a lot of people in this building -- not just the players -- the employees, the people who work so hard here every day; it's our job to reward them with the excitement of a postseason."
As Babby said, though, the goal is not just to be a playoff team every year, but to ultimately be one that could win a title.
"Candidly, we're not there now and we don't try to suggest otherwise," he said.
But, as he's maintained all season in not only his words but the moves the team has made (or didn't make), the plan is not to get bad before getting good again.
"I know that's one motto that NBA teams rely on, and I don't think the evidence supports that that's the right way to go," he said.
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday June 18Jared Dudley joins Doug and Wolf to talk NBA Finals.
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.
- Eddie Johnson, Suns' TV Analyst - Thursday June 6EJ previews game 1 of the NBA Finals. Plus, what are his thoughts on George Karl's firing?