Babby: Playoffs a nice reward for team in transition
That means they're not one of the league's best teams and certainly not a contender to win the NBA title.
But they do have a shot at reaching the playoffs, and, as Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, it would be a nice accomplishment.
"Our plan all along has been to begin a transition or rebuilding process while at the same time trying to remain competitive," he said. "I think we've done that this year, particularly the second half of the year we've played at a very high level.
"There are a lot of people in this community that would be excited and should be excited about us making the playoffs, but there are also a lot of people in this building -- not just the players -- the employees, the people who work so hard here every day; it's our job to reward them with the excitement of a postseason."
As Babby said, though, the goal is not just to be a playoff team every year, but to ultimately be one that could win a title.
"Candidly, we're not there now and we don't try to suggest otherwise," he said.
But, as he's maintained all season in not only his words but the moves the team has made (or didn't make), the plan is not to get bad before getting good again.
"I know that's one motto that NBA teams rely on, and I don't think the evidence supports that that's the right way to go," he said.
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach