Updated May 7, 2012 - 9:33 pm
NBA analyst: Steve Nash likely to move on
NBA.com's Sam Smith weighed in with his thoughts surrounding Nash's future.
All indications in Phoenix are the Suns will make Steve Nash a limited offer and he'll move on. It makes sense as the Suns will have $23 million in salary cap room and they've gone as far as they can go.
Despite popular belief the veteran point guard would choose to ink a deal in an effort to win a championship in the twilight of his career, Smith believes Nash will go a different route.
Many believe Nash instead of chasing a title with a contender for a lesser salary will go back to Canada and the Raptors for a three-year deal and help bring their young players along.
The Suns management has spent their money foolishly over the past few years and despite having a plethora of cap space available this offseason, it's not a slam dunk team president Lon Babby will spend the funds.
It's also not a guarantee the Suns will be as attractive a free agent destination without the two-time MVP point guard in the fold.
Nash averaged 12.5 points, 10.7 assists and 3 rebounds for the Suns in 2012.
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset with success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?