Rumor: Jeremy Lin headed to Phoenix?
The Knicks guard became the very definition of making the most of an opportunity when he broke into the New York starting lineup in February. In 25 starts, the Harvard grad averaged 18.2 points and 7.7 assists as the Knicks went 15-10.
Lin's startling season was cut short by a knee injury, and now his future in the Big Apple is in doubt.
The 23-year-old is a free agent, and could draw considerable interest from several NBA teams. One of those teams, at least according to an ESPN Insider report from David Thorpe, is the Phoenix Suns. Thorpe thinks the Lin-Phoenix marriage makes sense for a number of reasons.
This is my favorite landing spot for Lin if not New York. He would certainly be a starter if Steve Nash leaves, in an offense that is very similar to what he successfully ran as a Knick. Center Marcin Gortat becomes an excellent ball screen partner, and they play at a speed with which Lin is very comfortable.
Even if Nash returns, the Suns would possibly have not only his long-term replacement but someone who can provide a scoring punch off the bench as well as an energy guy with the second unit. It's not hard to remember the impact Leandro Barbosa had as Nash's backup. If they offered enough money, Lin will have to give that opportunity serious consideration regardless of what Nash does.
And Thorpe is right. With or without Nash in the fold moving forward, the Suns need to find their point guard of the future.
Lin is also one of the only free agents in this year's crop that could excite the Suns fan base and put extra fannies in the seats at US Airways Center.
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach