Suns face less competition if interested in Eric Gordon
His name? Eric Gordon.
The 23-year-old shooting guard is coming off an injury- plagued season in New Orleans, where he averaged 20.6 points, 3.4 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game.
However, the 6-foot-3, 215 pounder has shown the ability to be a go-to scorer, and with the Hornets' salary issues combined with the Suns' medical staff, there's a chance Phoenix could be in the running.
And, one team that apparently won't be after the restricted free agent is the Indiana Pacers, who may have had an edge since Gordon is from Indianapolis and played his college ball at Indiana.
According to Indianapolis Star Pacers beat writer Mike Wells, team president Larry Bird is not interested.
U can cross Eric Gordon off the Pacers' wish list. Bird said they don't go after restricted free agents because that's not Simon's style.— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNBA) May 30, 2012
This is not to say the Suns are interested, because they've given no such indications up to this point.
However, they'll not only have the money it would take to sign Gordon, but a need at shooting guard, too. He'd provide a young player the team can build around, as well as fit next to a point guard like Steve Nash -- if the veteran sticks around.
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite