Rudy Gay on the block? Suns should have interest
And, as it turns out, there may be an opportunity to do just that.
According to Hoopsworld.com, the Memphis Grizzlies may be looking to deal star Rudy Gay this summer in an effort to clear up cap space to re-sign key players.
Unfortunately for the Suns, though, the Grizzlies are not known for making one-sided deals in the name of cap space.
Oh wait, yes they are.
Should Gay actually end up on the trading block, and should the Grizzlies only be seeking cap space in return, the Suns should very much be in the running.
Gay, 25, would be just the type of young star the team could build around, and the 6-foot-8, 230 pound small forward would be a perfect fit for a team that needs help at the wing positions. And he'd be a good fit alongside Steve Nash, should the free agent point guard decide to stick around.
The former UConn star has career averages of 17.9 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.3 steals per game, and has averaged more than 19 points per night in each of the last three seasons.
Gay is known as an exceptional athlete, and he's still getting better in all facets of the game. He signed a five-year, $82 million contract extension in July 2010, meaning there are still three years left on the deal.
And, should the Grizzlies decide they don't want him to spend those final three seasons in Memphis, Phoenix would be a great option.
- Jon Barry, NBA Analyst - Friday May 24Barry expects a physical match up between the Heat & Pacers in Game 2 of the NBA Eastern Conference
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM