Suns Draft Candidate: Kendall Marshall
Kendall Marshall - Point Guard - University of North Carolina
After leading Bishop O'Connell High School in Arlington, Virginia to a state championship as a senior, Marshall garnered Third-team Parade and USA Today All-American status.
At North Carolina, Marshall replaced Larry Drew II as the Tar Heels' starting point guard midway through his freshman campaign, and immediately thrived in the role. Marshall averaged 8.2 points and 7.7 assists in a starting capacity and the Heels went 17-3 with him guiding the offense.
For his efforts, Marshall was named a First Team Freshman All-American by Sporting News and garnered second team honors from USBWA.
As a sophomore, Marshall averaged 8.1 points, 9.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game. He ranked second in the nation in assists, behind only Iona's Scott Machado, who averaged 9.9 points per game.
Marshall's season came to an end when he suffered a fractured wrist in an NCAA Tournament win against Creighton. Without him, the Tar Heels were defeated by eventual national runner-up Kansas in the Elite 8 by the score of 80-67
He's a prototypical throwback point guard. Great vision. Great passing ability. I think what he did at North Carolina was lead that group of guys from midway last year when he took over the starting point guard spot until he was hurt this year. And he has shown that he can run a ballclub. So, certainly he's at the top of the list or one of those guys that's at the top of the list in the point guard position.
Scouting Report Snippets
• Chad Ford of ESPN says that Marshall is one of the best passers in college basketball, has a high basketball IQ and is improving as an outside shooter. Ford cites Marshall's lack of explosiveness and lateral quickness as weaknesses heading into the draft.
• SwishScout.com says Marshall is a "Calculated, pass first PG with incredible court vision, elite passing ability, quick hands and knack for setting up his teammates. What he lacks in athleticism is made up for with intelligent play and decision making, and while perhaps too unselfish at times, has what it takes to be solid point guard at the next level."
UNC head coach Roy Williams on Kendall Marshall (VIDEO)
Other Suns Draft Candidates:
- Jon Barry, NBA Analyst - Friday May 24Barry expects a physical match up between the Heat & Pacers in Game 2 of the NBA Eastern Conference
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM