Suns Draft Candidate: Kendall Marshall
Kendall Marshall - Point Guard - University of North Carolina
After leading Bishop O'Connell High School in Arlington, Virginia to a state championship as a senior, Marshall garnered Third-team Parade and USA Today All-American status.
At North Carolina, Marshall replaced Larry Drew II as the Tar Heels' starting point guard midway through his freshman campaign, and immediately thrived in the role. Marshall averaged 8.2 points and 7.7 assists in a starting capacity and the Heels went 17-3 with him guiding the offense.
For his efforts, Marshall was named a First Team Freshman All-American by Sporting News and garnered second team honors from USBWA.
As a sophomore, Marshall averaged 8.1 points, 9.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game. He ranked second in the nation in assists, behind only Iona's Scott Machado, who averaged 9.9 points per game.
Marshall's season came to an end when he suffered a fractured wrist in an NCAA Tournament win against Creighton. Without him, the Tar Heels were defeated by eventual national runner-up Kansas in the Elite 8 by the score of 80-67
He's a prototypical throwback point guard. Great vision. Great passing ability. I think what he did at North Carolina was lead that group of guys from midway last year when he took over the starting point guard spot until he was hurt this year. And he has shown that he can run a ballclub. So, certainly he's at the top of the list or one of those guys that's at the top of the list in the point guard position.
Scouting Report Snippets
• Chad Ford of ESPN says that Marshall is one of the best passers in college basketball, has a high basketball IQ and is improving as an outside shooter. Ford cites Marshall's lack of explosiveness and lateral quickness as weaknesses heading into the draft.
• SwishScout.com says Marshall is a "Calculated, pass first PG with incredible court vision, elite passing ability, quick hands and knack for setting up his teammates. What he lacks in athleticism is made up for with intelligent play and decision making, and while perhaps too unselfish at times, has what it takes to be solid point guard at the next level."
UNC head coach Roy Williams on Kendall Marshall (VIDEO)
Other Suns Draft Candidates:
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.
- Eddie Johnson, Suns' TV Analyst - Thursday June 6EJ previews game 1 of the NBA Finals. Plus, what are his thoughts on George Karl's firing?
- Victor Oladipo, 2013 NBA draft prospect - Wednesday June 5Oladipo discussed his workout with the Suns and why teams should want him.