Report: Eric Gordon agrees to max deal with Suns
Now they just have to wait and see if the New Orleans Hornets will match their contract offer.
According to ESPN's Chris Broussard, Eric Gordon and the Suns agreed to a four-year deal Tuesday. It would be worth roughly $58 million.
"Eric Gordon told me this: "I strongly feel (the Suns) are the right franchise for me. Phoenix is just where my heart is.
The Hornets will have an opportunity to match the Suns' offer to Gordon because the player is a restricted free agent, so it will be interesting to see what Phoenix may have done to discourage New Orleans from keeping their player.
And, shortly after Broussard's report of an agreement between the Suns and Gordon, Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski reported the Hornets have every intention of matching the offer.
The New Orleans Hornets will match the 4-year, $58 million offer sheet Eric Gordon agreed to sign with Phoenix, league source tells Y!— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 4, 2012
The earliest Gordon could sign a contract with the Suns is July 11, and the Hornets would have three days from that point to match it.
A four-year pro out of Indiana, Gordon averaged 20.6 points to go along with 3.4 assists and 2.8 rebounds in nine games for New Orleans last year. He averaged 22.3 points per game the season before in Los Angeles.
Adding the 23-year-old would be a real boon for the Suns, who are looking to rebuild their team after missing the playoffs the last two seasons.
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach