Shannon Brown: Kobe and Nash will work just fine
Brown spent three seasons alongside Bryant in Los Angeles, and of course was part of the 2011-12 Suns, so he's qualified to share his opinion. And his opinion is that this pairing will work very well, thank you.
"(Nash) will be able to get Kobe Bryant the ball in the spots where he's most effective and where he can help the team win," Brown told ESPN Radio. "He can also score himself, so you know he's a great addition to that team."
Brown didn't have as much experience playing with Nash as he did Bryant, but saw enough over the course of the last lockout-shortened season to rave about the veteran point guard's game.
"His work ethic is unbelievable and the way he takes care of his body is great," Brown said. "He's a good player. Some of the passes he was throwing out there, the way he understands the game, the way he sees things before they happen -- he's always ahead of what's going on."
Despite the fact that Bryant has played most of his 16- year career without a "true" point guard next to him, Brown feels that this duo will compliment each other nicely.
"Steve is a pass-first, second and third type of point guard and Kobe is a shooting guard and he likes to score the ball, so that's a perfect situation for both of those guys," Brown said. "Steve is going to give Kobe a lot of points and Kobe is going to give Steve a lot of assists."
Any way you slice it, the Lakers' roster is loaded with two former MVPs and 28 combined All-Star Game apperances between Kobe, Nash, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace and Andrew Bynum. Brown says the Lakers have the potential for dominance.
"They're a threat from every position that they have on the floor," he said. "It's going to be tough to beat them, and I think if they come together like they want to, they're a force to be reckoned with and they might get all the way to the conference finals."
- Jon Barry, NBA Analyst - Friday May 24Barry expects a physical match up between the Heat & Pacers in Game 2 of the NBA Eastern Conference
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM