No Gordon, Suns could bring Michael Redd and Shannon Brown back
Those plans may include bringing back a couple of shooting guards who were with the team last season.
According to Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro, the Suns will look to re-sign Shannon Brown if the Gordon deal falls through.
If NO matches offer sheet for Gordon which they apparently will then Suns will turn attention to keeping Shannon Brown.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) July 6, 2012
The 26-year-old Brown averaged a career-best 11 points per game for the Suns last season, and played well as a starter late in the season, when he was scoring nearly 16 points per night.
However, Brown's shot selection was sometimes lacking, and while a great athlete, no one would ever confuse him for a great shooter.
Which of course leads us to one of the team's other options, which is veteran Michael Redd.
According to Fox Sports NBA writer Chris Tomasson, the Suns and Bulls are the two teams "most heavily in the mix" for the 32-year-old.
Redd, as you know, was one of the game's best scorers in from 2003-2009, averaging more than 20 points per night for six consecutive seasons.
But knee injuries derailed his once All-Star career, and he signed with the Suns last season after playing in just 61 games the previous three years.
Redd averaged 8.2 points per night on 40 percent shooting, and showed flashes of the sweet shooting stroke he's known for, but would likely not be thought of as little more than depth for the Suns.
Either way, the Suns' first option is to still land Eric Gordon. Should that not happen, though, they have options -- even if they're less than exciting.
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach