ESPN Insider tells how Nash to L.A. came together
We've now heard Nash give his explanation to both Stein and an ESPN Radio 710's Max Kellerman and Mychal Thompson, but the two-time MVP hasn't turned up anywhere on the Phoenix radio airwaves to break down the trade.
Nash did offer a 27-second voice message via social media to the fans of Phoenix, but when he was reached via telephone by Arizona Sports 620 producer Bryan Gibberman last Friday, he was "too swamped" to spend a few minutes on the Burns & Gambo show.
Anyway, Stein's piece chronicles the lavish efforts of both the Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks to land the prized free agent, and their persistence in trying to make it happen quickly.
I was really close at times to being a Raptor or Knick. Really close. I've always wanted to play for the Knicks, and to go home to Toronto was a dream opportunity in a lot of different ways.
The article also details the Suns' initial reluctance to consent to a deal that would benefit the Lakers so greatly, the full court press put on Robert Sarver and his front office and their ultimate agreement.
As much as it may hurt to read the inner workings of the deal that came together, it is a pretty fascinating read.
- Report: Suns receive permission to interview J.B. Bickerstaff and Steve Clifford
- Suns' coaching search ‘narrows and expands at the same time'
- Arizona Sports NBA Mock Draft Tracker
- Suns' McDonough to have options with two first round picks
- Jared Dudley: Next Suns coach needs to develop talent, teach fundamentals
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns