Updated Jul 9, 2012 - 6:19 pm
ESPN insider: Suns likely to land Gordon in sign-and-trade
It's the team's decision to part with Chris Paul that has ESPN NBA insider Ric Bucher thinking they'll ultimately do the same with Eric Gordon.
Score one for Phoenix. Maybe.
"They recognize that they don't want to have a guy there that doesn't want to be there," Bucher told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "That said, they are rebuilding this team, they paid a hefty price to get Eric Gordon, and he's an asset."
Which is why, Bucher said, while the Hornets have maintained that they will match the offer sheet Gordon is set to sign with Phoenix, he believes the budding star will end up with the Suns.
"I don't believe, when all is said and done, that they're going to be opposed to trading him, doing a sign-and-trade to Phoenix with Eric Gordon, but they're going to want to get something back for it."
No matter who would be sent to New Orleans, one would have to figure some draft picks (perhaps the ones arriving from Los Angeles) will be involved.
Bucher didn't say what the pieces in a trade would be, but added that this isn't a case of Gordon agreeing to a deal with the Suns solely to get the Hornets to offer more money. Injuries kept Gordon out of all but nine games, and it's likely he did not get a good enough feel -- or a good feel, really -- about the organization.
"It is genuine, from what I know, that Gordon doesn't want to be in New Orleans," he said. "He does want to be in Phoenix."
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.