Updated Jul 9, 2012 - 6:19 pm
ESPN insider: Suns likely to land Gordon in sign-and-trade
It's the team's decision to part with Chris Paul that has ESPN NBA insider Ric Bucher thinking they'll ultimately do the same with Eric Gordon.
Score one for Phoenix. Maybe.
"They recognize that they don't want to have a guy there that doesn't want to be there," Bucher told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "That said, they are rebuilding this team, they paid a hefty price to get Eric Gordon, and he's an asset."
Which is why, Bucher said, while the Hornets have maintained that they will match the offer sheet Gordon is set to sign with Phoenix, he believes the budding star will end up with the Suns.
"I don't believe, when all is said and done, that they're going to be opposed to trading him, doing a sign-and-trade to Phoenix with Eric Gordon, but they're going to want to get something back for it."
No matter who would be sent to New Orleans, one would have to figure some draft picks (perhaps the ones arriving from Los Angeles) will be involved.
Bucher didn't say what the pieces in a trade would be, but added that this isn't a case of Gordon agreeing to a deal with the Suns solely to get the Hornets to offer more money. Injuries kept Gordon out of all but nine games, and it's likely he did not get a good enough feel -- or a good feel, really -- about the organization.
"It is genuine, from what I know, that Gordon doesn't want to be in New Orleans," he said. "He does want to be in Phoenix."
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.