Updated Jul 9, 2012 - 6:19 pm
ESPN insider: Suns likely to land Gordon in sign-and-trade
It's the team's decision to part with Chris Paul that has ESPN NBA insider Ric Bucher thinking they'll ultimately do the same with Eric Gordon.
Score one for Phoenix. Maybe.
"They recognize that they don't want to have a guy there that doesn't want to be there," Bucher told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "That said, they are rebuilding this team, they paid a hefty price to get Eric Gordon, and he's an asset."
Which is why, Bucher said, while the Hornets have maintained that they will match the offer sheet Gordon is set to sign with Phoenix, he believes the budding star will end up with the Suns.
"I don't believe, when all is said and done, that they're going to be opposed to trading him, doing a sign-and-trade to Phoenix with Eric Gordon, but they're going to want to get something back for it."
No matter who would be sent to New Orleans, one would have to figure some draft picks (perhaps the ones arriving from Los Angeles) will be involved.
Bucher didn't say what the pieces in a trade would be, but added that this isn't a case of Gordon agreeing to a deal with the Suns solely to get the Hornets to offer more money. Injuries kept Gordon out of all but nine games, and it's likely he did not get a good enough feel -- or a good feel, really -- about the organization.
"It is genuine, from what I know, that Gordon doesn't want to be in New Orleans," he said. "He does want to be in Phoenix."
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.