Updated Jul 11, 2012 - 9:58 am
Report: Suns will turn to Mayo if Gordon falls through
And that, according to ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein, is Memphis guard O.J. Mayo.
If Hornets match PHX offer sheet to Eric Gordon, as they've vowed, desert sources say this is definite: OJ Mayo will be courted hard by Suns— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 11, 2012
Mayo, drafted third overall by Minnesota in 2008 (and traded to Memphis on draft night), has been a bit of an underachiever throughout his career.
He has shown flashes of excellent scoring ability, averaging 18.5 points per game as a rookie and 17.5 a night his second year -- but has been relegated to a reserve role the last two seasons, leading his numbers to drop.
At 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, Mayo has decent size, but tends to struggle on the defensive end as well, and one would wonder if the Suns shifting attention towards him would go against their pre-free agency idea of not spending money just for the sake of spending money.
Unlike Gordon, though, Mayo is not a restricted free agent, meaning there is no threat of a contract being matched. If he agrees to a deal with Phoenix, that's it. He's coming.
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.