Updated Jul 11, 2012 - 9:58 am
Report: Suns will turn to Mayo if Gordon falls through
And that, according to ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein, is Memphis guard O.J. Mayo.
If Hornets match PHX offer sheet to Eric Gordon, as they've vowed, desert sources say this is definite: OJ Mayo will be courted hard by Suns— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 11, 2012
Mayo, drafted third overall by Minnesota in 2008 (and traded to Memphis on draft night), has been a bit of an underachiever throughout his career.
He has shown flashes of excellent scoring ability, averaging 18.5 points per game as a rookie and 17.5 a night his second year -- but has been relegated to a reserve role the last two seasons, leading his numbers to drop.
At 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, Mayo has decent size, but tends to struggle on the defensive end as well, and one would wonder if the Suns shifting attention towards him would go against their pre-free agency idea of not spending money just for the sake of spending money.
Unlike Gordon, though, Mayo is not a restricted free agent, meaning there is no threat of a contract being matched. If he agrees to a deal with Phoenix, that's it. He's coming.
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.