Report: Suns may make amnesty bid for Elton Brand
According to NBA.com's David Aldridge, the Suns are one of a handful of teams considering putting a claim in for former 76er Elton Brand.
The Suns and Hornets were contemplating making a bid, according to other league sources. But teams are leery of making bids if Brand doesn't want to play there.
The report says Brand hopes to be picked up by the Dallas Mavericks, and that fact may scare the Suns off.
However, should they fail to land Eric Gordon the Suns will have ample cap space, and could view the 33-year-old as a good option to have not only in the lineup, but in the locker room, too.
Brand has career averages of 18.3 points and 9.4 rebounds per game, though his best years are clearly behind him.
Regarded as one of the best power forwards in the game shortly after being drafted first overall in 1999, Brand played at an MVP-level in 2005-06, but saw his career go south following a ruptured achilles tendon in 2007.
Brand averaged 11 points and 7.1 rebounds per night last year in 60 games for Philadelphia.
- Jon Barry, NBA Analyst - Friday May 24Barry expects a physical match up between the Heat & Pacers in Game 2 of the NBA Eastern Conference
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM