Suns' Plan C, D, E, etc. at shooting guard
July 17, 2012: Suns options shrinking
A week after the season ended, Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby stated the following, "First and foremost, we need to find another dynamic weapon on offense."
Give Babby and the Suns credit. They've tried to find that "dynamic weapon on offense."
First, they made a run at Eric Gordon only to see New Orleans match the offer sheet given to the restricted free agent.
Then, they turned their attention to OJ Mayo, bringing the unrestricted free agent in for a visit last week. He though tweeted late Monday he is signing with Dallas.
Now what do the Suns do?
Here are the options they are considering; and we list the players in alphabetical order:
• Shannon Brown, six-year veteran made $3.5 million last season with the Suns
averaged a career-high 11.0 points, shooting 42% and 36.2% from 3
• Randy Foye, six-year veteran made $4.25 million last season with the Clippers
averaged 11.0 points, shooting 39.8% and 38.6% from 3
• Courtney Lee, four-year veteran made $2.2 million last season with the Rockets
averaged 11.4 points, shooting 43.3% and 40.1% from 3
• Jodie Meeks, three-year veteran made $884,000 last season with the Sixers
averaged 8.4 points, shooting 40.9% and 36.5% from 3
• Michael Redd, 12-year veteran made $1.3 million last season with the Suns
averaged 8.2 points, shooting 40% and 31.8% from 3
If you ask me---and no one has but I'll offer my opinion anyway, I'd take a hard look at bringing back Brown. He may not be that "dynamic weapon on offense" but he showed the ability to put the ball in the basket with five 20-point efforts in the season's final 24 games (all as a starter) including twice in the final three games; plus he dropped a career-high 32 points on San Antonio March 27.
"I like it here," he said the day after the season ended. "I like everything about it. I like the team. I like the facilities. I like the city, the fans. I like everything about it. I don't mind being here again. But at the same time, I got to keep that balance in my mind that it's a business. My plans might not fit with other people's plans or whatever the case is so I just got to be prepared for anything."
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite