Former Suns GM is a fan of team's recent moves
"I'm a big fan of Scola; I think he's a really good player," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He still has some good years left in him and the Suns ended up getting him at a really good price."
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reported Scola will make $13.5 million over the next three years, which seems like a bargain for a player who averaged 15.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per game last season and is just one year removed from a season where he scored 18.3 points per night.
But that's not the only move Kerr is a fan of.
"I like overall what they've done this offseason," he said, praising the selection of North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall in last month's draft.
"The guy's a basketball player," Kerr said. "He can run a team and find guys and get them to their spots and get shots for his teammates.
"Those guys are really difficult to come by."
Kerr does question the addition of Michael Beasley, saying that while he can score the basketball, he makes for a better power forward than small forward. However, with the signing of Scola coupled with the other power forwards already on the roster, it appears the Suns envision the former number two pick at the small forward position.
"It will be interesting to see if they can figure out the Beasley piece and make that work," he said.
"For that price," Kerr said. "I think they're looking at it like hey, let's take a chance."
That's exactly what Beasley, who will be on his third team in four seasons, is for the Suns. If it works out, they may have found a go-to scorer, one capable of taking over games on a regular basis. If not, the only thing lost is a little bit of money (and probably quite a few games).
"He's got everything to prove," Kerr said. "He has a lot to prove, and this is when you want to get him."
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite