Suns will look to add depth at center position
But it left them a hole at backup center.
Lopez had filled the role for a season-and-a-half, mixing moments of excellence with nights of disappointment. Still, for all his faults, competent seven-footers don't exactly grow on trees, and the Suns did want to bring the former Stanford Cardinal back.
"We have to hope that Channing [Frye] is healthy sooner rather than later," Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "He has played the five in the past and can do it again.
"Scola can play some five."
That would leave the Suns playing some version of "small ball", as both Frye and Scola are more suited to play the power forward position.
"[General manager Lance Blanks] is going to spearhead a search to make sure we probably bring in another big," Babby added. "That's certainly an area where we need help, but I don't think it will be anything dramatic.
"That's the risk of losing someone like Robin, no question about it."
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday June 18Jared Dudley joins Doug and Wolf to talk NBA Finals.
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.
- Eddie Johnson, Suns' TV Analyst - Thursday June 6EJ previews game 1 of the NBA Finals. Plus, what are his thoughts on George Karl's firing?