Not elite, Suns must be careful when making moves
That fact, he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, means the team has to attack roster construction a little differently than some of the competition.
"If you look at our salary structure it makes sense, if you look at our commitments going forward they're sensible and we have a lot of flexibility," he said. "A big part of this job and this business is managing the salary cap, those are the rules.
"We don't have the resources of the Lakers or the Knicks to make mistakes, so we've got to be very, very careful."
Which is why everything that has happened over the last month or so is somewhat by design. The Suns had been planning for this summer the last two seasons, making moves that were meant to give them an incredible amount of flexibility.
Still, for all the team could plan for, some things that transpired this summer were unexpected.
"I can't put my finger on it," Babby said when asked why Hill is no longer a Sun. "What I would say is I said at the beginning of the offseason that if Grant wanted to play and he didn't come back to Phoenix that I would personally be extremely disappointed.
"So I can say I am extremely disappointed that he's not back."
Babby admitted he does not have a clear understanding of why the process unfolded as it did, but thinks it was a combination of a few things, including the fact that the Clippers are a more competitive team at the moment.
"There are always financial implications to it, I suppose, and I think it's healthy," Babby said. "I think it's healthy for him to have an opportunity to play on a team that can really achieve this year probably at a level that we can't -- I mean, I hope we do -- but that you can't really expect us to."
- Tim Kempton, Suns' Analyst - Wednesday June 19Suns' Analyst Tim Kempton joins Doug and Wolf to talk about the NBA Finals game six and if the Spurs
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday June 18Jared Dudley joins Doug and Wolf to talk NBA Finals.
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.