Suns interested in bringing Leandro Barbosa back
Nicknamed the "Brazlian Blur," Barbosa averaged 12.6 points per contest, posting a career-best mark of 18.1 points per night in 2006-07. He won the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year Award that season.
Nagging injuries along with depth at the guard positions left little court time for Barbosa in 2009-10, and both he and the Suns felt it would be best of the sides parted ways following the season.
However, after three up-and-down seasons in which he's played for both the Toronto Raptors and Indiana Pacers, it appears a reunion could take place.
According to an interview with Barbosa posted on balanacesta.blogosfera.uol.com.br, the 29-year-old free agent said the Suns are an option.
Roughly translated by Google, Barbosa said:
I'm talking to, among others, with the Phoenix Suns franchise that have a history, a life there, with the Brooklyn Nets, we tried harder and the Los Angeles Lakers - is very hot with the staff there Also. The Steve Nash (who played point guard with Leandrinho in Phoenix) texted me so I go there, even. When I was in the Olympics this conversation happened pretty strong, but then they signed with another wing (Jodie Meeks) and then cooled a bit. They have many owners (position 1), and if they would hire me to take one of the cast. It's early, I have to wait.
The Suns would clearly be bringing Barbosa back in a backup role, likely to play more shooting guard than anything else. The team added both Goran Dragic and Kendall Marshall in the offseason, so minutes at the point would be difficult to find.
But more scoring off the bench never hurt anyone, which is why the Nets and Lakers are also interested in his services.
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach