Updated Sep 14, 2012 - 6:21 pm
Jared Dudley steps into leadership role
Gone are veterans like Steve Nash and Grant Hill, leaving not only a void with talent, but also leadership.
Enter Jared Dudley, who is now the longest-tenured member of the team at three-and-a-half years.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, the 27-year-old small forward said he's always thought of himself as a leader.
"But just a different type of leader," Dudley said of his time when Nash and Hill were around. "Steve is a positive guy, where he's always positive, high-fiving.
"I'm more of a vocal leader. During the timeouts I talk more than Steve and Grant. On the plan, on the bus, I'm just more talkative as a person."
Dudley said he'll have to change things some now that he's going to be looked at as the leader.
"Doing stuff the right way 100 percent of the time," Dudley said. "Come in to practice early. Grant Hill used to get to practice three hours before, I would get there an hour.
Dudley said he needs to make sure the young players look up to him the same way he did Hill and Nash, which would mean being a positive influence for players learning how to be NBA players.
"Not taking any shortcuts," he added. "Sometimes when you're a basketball player and you see people taking shortcuts you want to take a shortcut. I can't be that guy."
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.