Updated Sep 14, 2012 - 6:21 pm
Jared Dudley steps into leadership role
Gone are veterans like Steve Nash and Grant Hill, leaving not only a void with talent, but also leadership.
Enter Jared Dudley, who is now the longest-tenured member of the team at three-and-a-half years.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, the 27-year-old small forward said he's always thought of himself as a leader.
"But just a different type of leader," Dudley said of his time when Nash and Hill were around. "Steve is a positive guy, where he's always positive, high-fiving.
"I'm more of a vocal leader. During the timeouts I talk more than Steve and Grant. On the plan, on the bus, I'm just more talkative as a person."
Dudley said he'll have to change things some now that he's going to be looked at as the leader.
"Doing stuff the right way 100 percent of the time," Dudley said. "Come in to practice early. Grant Hill used to get to practice three hours before, I would get there an hour.
Dudley said he needs to make sure the young players look up to him the same way he did Hill and Nash, which would mean being a positive influence for players learning how to be NBA players.
"Not taking any shortcuts," he added. "Sometimes when you're a basketball player and you see people taking shortcuts you want to take a shortcut. I can't be that guy."
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?