Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 8:35 am
Justin Bieber, Hello Kitty make appearance at Suns camp
October 3, 2012: Suns rookies receive surprise after practice
LA JOLLA, Calif. -- The first day of two-a-days had just ended.
But before anyone was allowed to leave, Marcin Gortat made like Santa Claus and handed out backpacks---kids' backpacks, to rookies Kendall Marshall, Luke Zeller and Markieff Morris.
Wait, Markieff Morris? He isn't a rookie.
"You're still a rookie until the first regular season game," Gortat explained. "That's how it is around the league. That's just how it is."
Okay, makes sense.
So Morris, Marshall and Zeller each received either a Hello Kitty or Justin Bieber backpack.
Gortat said he was only "executing" an idea drummed up by 16-year veteran Jermaine O'Neal.
"It's pretty cool," Gortat said.
A season ago, according to Gortat, the rookies got off easy. "Last year we had veterans like Steve (Nash) and Grant (Hill). They were just too cool. They were just too nice."
During his own rookie season with the Orlando Magic, Gortat said he made sure to have a PlayStation and Krispy Kreme available before every game. "I needed to have the receipt that I bought (the donuts) that day."
There was more.
The best he said was when the team went on the road. "I had to go flip the newpaper (to) the sports side at 6 o'clock in the morning (so) when one of our veterans opened up (their hotel) door, the sports side got to be flipped up front."
Now entering his sixth NBA season, Gortat is anxious for the day when he'll be able to order the rookies around.
"Just wait until I get older," he said. "Hopefully one day I'm going to have double digit years in the league. Oh boy, oh lord, oh lord."
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.