Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 8:35 am
Justin Bieber, Hello Kitty make appearance at Suns camp
October 3, 2012: Suns rookies receive surprise after practice
LA JOLLA, Calif. -- The first day of two-a-days had just ended.
But before anyone was allowed to leave, Marcin Gortat made like Santa Claus and handed out backpacks---kids' backpacks, to rookies Kendall Marshall, Luke Zeller and Markieff Morris.
Wait, Markieff Morris? He isn't a rookie.
"You're still a rookie until the first regular season game," Gortat explained. "That's how it is around the league. That's just how it is."
Okay, makes sense.
So Morris, Marshall and Zeller each received either a Hello Kitty or Justin Bieber backpack.
Gortat said he was only "executing" an idea drummed up by 16-year veteran Jermaine O'Neal.
"It's pretty cool," Gortat said.
A season ago, according to Gortat, the rookies got off easy. "Last year we had veterans like Steve (Nash) and Grant (Hill). They were just too cool. They were just too nice."
During his own rookie season with the Orlando Magic, Gortat said he made sure to have a PlayStation and Krispy Kreme available before every game. "I needed to have the receipt that I bought (the donuts) that day."
There was more.
The best he said was when the team went on the road. "I had to go flip the newpaper (to) the sports side at 6 o'clock in the morning (so) when one of our veterans opened up (their hotel) door, the sports side got to be flipped up front."
Now entering his sixth NBA season, Gortat is anxious for the day when he'll be able to order the rookies around.
"Just wait until I get older," he said. "Hopefully one day I'm going to have double digit years in the league. Oh boy, oh lord, oh lord."
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- The DISH - March 12, 2013 - Wednesday March 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns' History.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea