Updated Oct 5, 2012 - 4:44 pm
Beasley making most of second chance so far
"It is no secret that he has had a rough time (at times) on and off the court, both in the NBA and leaving college," Phoenix Suns general manager Lance Blanks told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
The former second overall pick battled marijuana-related legal issues in the past and he has yet to live up to his potential on the court. Despite these red flags, the Phoenix Suns have decided to give Beasley a second chance.
"He knows that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity," Blanks said. "It is a fresh start."
Blanks praised how well Beasley has been doing so far in Phoenix and is a big fan of the 23-year-old forward.
"I love the kid to death. I have personally adopted him and just told him that, Blanks said. "He is one of the most loveable young men you will meet."
Blanks said that the team has embraced and adopted him as well.
"The process of integrating him on the floor, off the floor and in the community has gone extremely well," Blanks said.
Beasley is averaging 15.1 points per game in his career, but he has lacked consistency it takes to be become an elite player.
Probably the most talented player on the team, Beasley could be looked at as the "go-to-guy" on a Suns roster that lacks star power.
The Suns kick off their preseason October 10 on the road against the Sacramento Kings. It will be Suns fans' first chance to see their team in the post-Steve Nash era.
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.