Updated Oct 5, 2012 - 4:44 pm
Beasley making most of second chance so far
"It is no secret that he has had a rough time (at times) on and off the court, both in the NBA and leaving college," Phoenix Suns general manager Lance Blanks told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
The former second overall pick battled marijuana-related legal issues in the past and he has yet to live up to his potential on the court. Despite these red flags, the Phoenix Suns have decided to give Beasley a second chance.
"He knows that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity," Blanks said. "It is a fresh start."
Blanks praised how well Beasley has been doing so far in Phoenix and is a big fan of the 23-year-old forward.
"I love the kid to death. I have personally adopted him and just told him that, Blanks said. "He is one of the most loveable young men you will meet."
Blanks said that the team has embraced and adopted him as well.
"The process of integrating him on the floor, off the floor and in the community has gone extremely well," Blanks said.
Beasley is averaging 15.1 points per game in his career, but he has lacked consistency it takes to be become an elite player.
Probably the most talented player on the team, Beasley could be looked at as the "go-to-guy" on a Suns roster that lacks star power.
The Suns kick off their preseason October 10 on the road against the Sacramento Kings. It will be Suns fans' first chance to see their team in the post-Steve Nash era.
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.