Updated Oct 7, 2012 - 1:51 pm
Suns' Gortat wants new uniform number
October 7, 2012: Gortat wants to change uniform number from 4 to 13
LA JOLLA, Calif. -- The NBA still had not officially approved the sign-and-trade agreement sending Steve Nash to the L.A. Lakers, when Marcin Gortat made a request: Would he be able to wear No. 13 this season?
He could not.
Only three players in the history of the Suns franchise have worn No. 13:
Gus Johnson (1972)
Luc Longley (1999-2000)
Nash (1996-1998, 2004-2012)
Gortat wants to be the fourth.
"That's my plan when I get back (to Phoenix)," he said following the team's intrasquad scrimmage Saturday. "I heard the procedure to change numbers is going to take the whole year."
Gortat has worn No. 13 his entire professional playing career (Orlando Magic), including on the Polish National Team.
"I'm going to try to change to the 13," he said. "I understand that Steve is going to probably get the number…the jersey is going to go on to the ceiling. It's going to be hanged. But, hopefully, I'm going to be able to play for the next six, seven, eight, maybe nine years. I'm going to try to get that number."
Gortat knows there will be people who don't want No. 13 worn by anyone else.
"I'm going to call Steve," he said. "I'm 100 percent sure that---I'm quite sure, maybe not 100 percent. I'm quite sure he'll be fine with that if I'm going to carry his number. I'm going to obviously do this with pride.
"That's the number I've been playing in my entire life. Since I'm here in Phoenix I'm playing only with a different number. I'm definitely going to try to change that. I'm definitely going to try to change that."
Gortat also informed the media during training camp that he has a new nickname.
Yes, he still goes by the "Polish Machine" but because he came into training camp in such good shape---as a result of playing for Poland in the offseason, there is now a new name he goes by.
"We got the new nickname: Polish Gazelle," he said. "Trust me; I can outrun everybody, even point guards."
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.