Updated Oct 31, 2012 - 5:06 pm
Suns coach Gentry expects Michael Beasley to be 'the man'
Seemingly poised to finally make good on the potential that convinced the Miami Heat to select him with the second overall pick in the 2008 Draft, the 6-foot-10 forward's career took a turn the very next season, as he averaged just 11.5 points per night in 23.1 minutes off the bench.
Looking for a fresh start, Beasley signed with a Suns team that is looking for a go-to scorer.
"There's going to be many things that we give him and ask him to do," Suns coach Alvin Gentry told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "One of the things that I also talked to him about is the old saying about to whom much is given, much is expected."
The Suns are expecting Beasley to be something he has not yet been as a professional: the man.
"This is going to be the first time in his career as an NBA player that a lot is expected of him and asked to do," Gentry said. "Basically, without saying it, I basically said 'you have to be the man on this team.'"
The coach said the 23-year-old's progression into that role is a process that will take time, but says he believes Beasley is talented enough to get the job done.
"The one thing I think with him that I think we will continue to strive and get out of him is the consistency," he added. "I think consistency is going to be the key for him, and that's rebounding, that's scoring and that's defense."
"I just think it's a matter of us being patient and understanding that this is not going to be something that happens overnight," he said. "That this is a process that we have to continue to work with him and get him to that level."
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.