Updated Nov 2, 2012 - 5:24 pm
Suns' swingman P.J. Tucker off to a fast start
The 27-year-old journeyman played 23 minutes, including the entire fourth quarter where he scored all 10 of his points
Legendary Suns broadcaster Al McCoy was impressed with Tucker and not surprised that coach Alvin Gentry kept him in the game late.
"Alvin [Gentry] has some of the philosophies that my friend the late Cotton Fitzsimmons [had]," McCoy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "Cotton used to say that ‘if I put a guy on the floor and he is doing it, he stays there 'til he drops.'"
As a result of Tucker playing the entire fourth quarter, starting small forward Michael Beasley didn't see any action late in the game.
"In some corners Coach Gentry was asked ‘how could you keep Beasley on the bench the entire fourth quarter?'" McCoy said. "Well, because a guy like P.J. Tucker came in and completely dominated the game."
Tucker played 17 games for the Toronto Raptors in the 2006-2007 season, but has spent the last five seasons playing internationally.
Even though he is not a household name, the Suns expect Tucker to be a difference-maker off the bench this season.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.