Updated Nov 2, 2012 - 5:24 pm
Suns' swingman P.J. Tucker off to a fast start
The 27-year-old journeyman played 23 minutes, including the entire fourth quarter where he scored all 10 of his points
Legendary Suns broadcaster Al McCoy was impressed with Tucker and not surprised that coach Alvin Gentry kept him in the game late.
"Alvin [Gentry] has some of the philosophies that my friend the late Cotton Fitzsimmons [had]," McCoy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "Cotton used to say that ‘if I put a guy on the floor and he is doing it, he stays there 'til he drops.'"
As a result of Tucker playing the entire fourth quarter, starting small forward Michael Beasley didn't see any action late in the game.
"In some corners Coach Gentry was asked ‘how could you keep Beasley on the bench the entire fourth quarter?'" McCoy said. "Well, because a guy like P.J. Tucker came in and completely dominated the game."
Tucker played 17 games for the Toronto Raptors in the 2006-2007 season, but has spent the last five seasons playing internationally.
Even though he is not a household name, the Suns expect Tucker to be a difference-maker off the bench this season.
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.