Updated Nov 2, 2012 - 5:24 pm
Suns' swingman P.J. Tucker off to a fast start
The 27-year-old journeyman played 23 minutes, including the entire fourth quarter where he scored all 10 of his points
Legendary Suns broadcaster Al McCoy was impressed with Tucker and not surprised that coach Alvin Gentry kept him in the game late.
"Alvin [Gentry] has some of the philosophies that my friend the late Cotton Fitzsimmons [had]," McCoy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "Cotton used to say that ‘if I put a guy on the floor and he is doing it, he stays there 'til he drops.'"
As a result of Tucker playing the entire fourth quarter, starting small forward Michael Beasley didn't see any action late in the game.
"In some corners Coach Gentry was asked ‘how could you keep Beasley on the bench the entire fourth quarter?'" McCoy said. "Well, because a guy like P.J. Tucker came in and completely dominated the game."
Tucker played 17 games for the Toronto Raptors in the 2006-2007 season, but has spent the last five seasons playing internationally.
Even though he is not a household name, the Suns expect Tucker to be a difference-maker off the bench this season.
- Morris twins 'better together' for Phoenix Suns
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.