Updated Nov 4, 2012 - 4:49 pm
Gentry: Magic still good without Dwight Howard
But while Phoenix will face an Orlando team Sunday without perennial All-Star center Dwight Howard after August's blockbuster trade sent him packing to Los Angeles, Alvin Gentry said Jacque Vaughn's squad is still a talented team.
"I think everyone looked at that team and thought oh they got rid of Dwight Howard," Gentry said. "But they play extremely hard. They are going to be well-coached, because [Jacque Vaughn] has been under great coaches."
Vaughn played for five teams during his 14-year career, learning under the likes of Jerry Sloan and Greg Popovich. The former NBA point guard was hired to replace Stan Van Gundy in July.
In addition to a new coach, the Magic's trade of Howard brought them new pieces in Al Harrington, Aaron Afflalo, Mo Harkless, Josh McRoberts and Nikola Vucevic.
While they've only played one game heading into Sunday's home contest with the Suns, Gentry came away very impressed with the Magic's opening night 102-89 victory over the Nuggets.
"I watched them play last night," said Gentry after practice on Saturday. "They play really hard. They execute extremely well. And at the end of the day, they have some pretty damn good players."
Message being that if the Suns are expecting a cake walk heading into Monday night's clash with the reigning NBA champion Heat, they have another thing coming to them.
Sunday night's game is the start of a three-game road swing for Phoenix. They will head to Miami Monday, before wrapping up their first road trip of the season in Charlotte Wednesday.
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.