Updated Nov 9, 2012 - 2:17 pm
Jon Barry: Mike D'Antoni to Lakers 'makes sense'
Names like Indiana Pacers assistant Bryan Shaw, former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and former Suns coach Mike D'Antoni have already surfaced as possible replacements.
Source says Mike D'Antoni would be interested in Lakers job, that he'd listen.— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) November 9, 2012
ESPN NBA Analyst Jon Barry was on with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo and said he feels hiring D'Antoni "makes a whole lot of sense."
D'Antoni took over the Suns midway through the 2003-2004 season and would go on to lead Phoenix to four straight playoffs appearances. Alongside now-Lakers point guard Steve Nash, D'Antoni consistently had one of the most potent offenses in the league.
"It is a style of play that people in LA would love to watch," Barry said. "He has got Dwight Howard on the interior now to be the defender that he never had in Phoenix."
D'Antoni left Phoenix in 2008 to coach the New York Knicks, but resigned last season after a disappointing start to the year.
He is also an assistant coach for Team USA, where he coached Lakers guard Kobe Bryant.
"If Mike [D'Antoni] would hire a defensive coordinator and put his offense in there, it would be a really, really good fit."
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.