Suns' Babby encouraged by team's start
So to be where the team is at through eight games is, well, not bad, according to President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby.
"To have all the changes we've made and be 4-4 at this point is not bad," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "There are a couple games I felt we should have won that we didn't win, but maybe there are a couple we won that we didn't expect to win."
Babby said he's not necessarily happy with the record, but is encouraged by what he's seen from the team.
That said, Babby knows the team needs to improve, and says he's seen it do just that, specifically with rebounding and ball security.
"So I think there's a bit of a flow offensively and that's improving," he said. "So I think in those areas we're making progress but it's still so early and we still have so much, so much work to do."
Babby admitted that he's still learning a lot about his team, which makes sense since it's played just a handful of games together.
"One of the things [head coach Alvin Gentry] will do as time goes on, and we saw it last year, is he'll be more precise in his definition of roles for players, and that takes time," Babby said. "You just can't rush that.
Babby added that what he likes most about the team is the effort with which they play, saying there is "a freshness" that has not been there since he's been with the organization.
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns