Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 11:00 am
Suns coach Gentry: 'It was a total abortion, really'
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons is worse.
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons by a score of 117-77 -- a 40 points margin -- is, well, we'll let Suns coach Alvin Gentry tell you what it is.
"There's nothing to say, it was a total abortion, really," Gentry told FoxSports Arizona after the game Wednesday. "I wish there was an easier way to put it, but we sucked in all phases of the game."
The Suns were tied with the Pistons, who entered the game just 4-11 on the season, 24-24 at the end of the first quarter.
From there they were outscored 93-53, and never even threatened to make any kind of run.
"It's the first game I can say that I didn't think we competed hard and didn't try to match their energy level, Gentry said.
The Suns, who fell to 7-9 on the season, are in the middle of a six-game road trip. They're 1-2 so far after beating Cleveland but losing to Philadelphia and Detroit, and now head north to take on the Toronto Raptors before facing the New York Knicks and Memphis Grizzlies.
Gentry called his team's performance in Detroit "beyond embarrassing," adding that if he was a Suns fan or part of management he'd be "totally pissed off, and rightfully so."
The Suns shot 34.1 percent from the field, made just six of their 21 three point attempts, were outrebounded and had more turnovers than assists.
In short, Gentry is absolutely correct.
"There was nothing that we did that you could even say was NCAA quality," he said.
That may be an unnecessary shot at college ballers, but we understand.
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- The DISH - March 12, 2013 - Wednesday March 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns' History.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea