Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 11:00 am
Suns coach Gentry: 'It was a total abortion, really'
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons is worse.
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons by a score of 117-77 -- a 40 points margin -- is, well, we'll let Suns coach Alvin Gentry tell you what it is.
"There's nothing to say, it was a total abortion, really," Gentry told FoxSports Arizona after the game Wednesday. "I wish there was an easier way to put it, but we sucked in all phases of the game."
The Suns were tied with the Pistons, who entered the game just 4-11 on the season, 24-24 at the end of the first quarter.
From there they were outscored 93-53, and never even threatened to make any kind of run.
"It's the first game I can say that I didn't think we competed hard and didn't try to match their energy level, Gentry said.
The Suns, who fell to 7-9 on the season, are in the middle of a six-game road trip. They're 1-2 so far after beating Cleveland but losing to Philadelphia and Detroit, and now head north to take on the Toronto Raptors before facing the New York Knicks and Memphis Grizzlies.
Gentry called his team's performance in Detroit "beyond embarrassing," adding that if he was a Suns fan or part of management he'd be "totally pissed off, and rightfully so."
The Suns shot 34.1 percent from the field, made just six of their 21 three point attempts, were outrebounded and had more turnovers than assists.
In short, Gentry is absolutely correct.
"There was nothing that we did that you could even say was NCAA quality," he said.
That may be an unnecessary shot at college ballers, but we understand.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.