Gentry: 'We have to find a way to get Beasley consistent'
Instead they've gotten an inconsistent forward averaging only 11.5 points and 4.1 rebounds through the first 19 games of the season.
Speaking with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, Suns head coach Alvin Gentry gave his take on what he thought would help Beasley turn his season around.
"We have to try and figure out a way to get him consistent and he's going to have to help us in that area too," said Gentry. "We just have to continue work with him to get him better at what he's doing. That's why we're here."
Gentry went on to shoot down the notion that his forward's self-confidence had been shaken and added there was no time for Beasley to begin to feel sorry for himself, especially in the NBA.
"Obviously the thing about the NBA is you don't have a whole lot time to think about it because tomorrow night we're going to be lining up and playing a Dallas team that's pretty darn good," said Gentry. "He'll get another shot of redeeming himself and being consistent and making the plays that will help us win games."
When asked about Beasley's role within the Suns organization over the next few years, Gentry said he saw Beasley becoming the offensive playmaker everyone expected coming out of college.
"I think he can be a facilitator, I think he can be a guy who makes plays for guys and I think he can score for us," said Gentry. "I think that's kind of what he is. He's a scorer, not a 'drive to the basket and crash guy.' He's just an in between guy that can score and put the ball in front of him and that's what we're expecting from him."
"I just think he has to understand and stay within what we're doing and he's got to make the play," said Gentry. "At the end of the day he's just going to have to make the play. One of the reasons we have him in there is to do that and he's got to be productive out on the floor."
- Tim Kempton, Suns' Analyst - Wednesday June 19Suns' Analyst Tim Kempton joins Doug and Wolf to talk about the NBA Finals game six and if the Spurs
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday June 18Jared Dudley joins Doug and Wolf to talk NBA Finals.
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.