Kempton: Gentry handling Michael Beasley the right way
The Phoenix Suns may have to realize their prominent free agent acquisition was a bust, but they haven't done so yet.
The Suns signed Michael Beasley to a three-year, $18 million contract and was viewed as a reclamation project for team management and head coach Alvin Gentry. Thus far, Beasley has proven to be just that -- a work in progress.
Suns' color analyst Tim Kempton praised Gentry for his usage of Beasley and knowing when it's time to sit him.
"They are getting him plenty of shots, they expect him to shoot the ball and be involved in the offense," Kempton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Thursday. "But Alvin Gentry's been very clear if you're not performing well that night we can't have you on the floor because we don't have that luxury."
Beasley's struggled mightily to find consistency on the floor. In fact, the Suns have often fared better this season with their small forward on the bench, and as a result he's seen his playing time decrease.
Kempton said Gentry understands if Beasley's off one night, the Suns can ill afford to have him out on the court.
"We don't have the luxury of putting someone like a Michael Beasley out there to be unproductive for this team to win."
The 23-year-old has averaged 11.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 26.3 minutes this season.
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.